Snapchat Spectacles: the great, the disappointing and how you can get your hands on a pair.
What are Snapchat Spectacles?
There’s been a lot of buzz about Snap Inc’s first hardware release since October 2016 – but what exactly are they and how can you get your hands on a pair?
Snapchat Spectacles are pretty much what they say on the tin: smart glasses that take Snapchat video. The key selling point of Snapchat spectacles is a point-of-view 10 second video – whatever you’re up to: globetrotting, adventuring with your friends or extreme sports, Snapchat Spectacles capture it all with ease. Many are commending Snap Inc’s new offering, there are even suggestions social media giants like Facebook will follow suit with their own hardware pairings.
What’s all the fuss about?
There has been an influx of positive feedback about the ease of Snapchat Spectacles, but there some pretty cool features you might have missed in the throng and a few drawbacks that are worth investigating before you invest in a $129 pair:
They do have
- Two built in cameras either side of the frame
- A sleek design that is also practical and won’t fall off your face, even when trampolining
- Black, teal and coral finishes
- LED lights to indicate when you’re snapping
- Wireless connection to your smartphone via Wifi or Bluetooth
- A case that doubles as a charger for your specs
- 10 second video
- Compatibility with Android and IOS devices
- The ability to capture pure joy
They don’t have
- Still photo capture
- Live filters
- Instant posting – you’ll have to download your videos to the app, but it only takes a click of a button
- AR and VR capability
- Waterproof casing
Where can you pick them up?
For the first few weeks of prerelease you could only nab a pair of Snapchat Spectacles at the Snapbot vending machines at random locations across the USA, but this pop-up shop is yet to arrive in the UK. After a lengthy wait, Snap Inc announced this week that US customers can now purchase the new release online on the spectacles website.
Snap Inc are planning to widen distribution this year, in meantime UK customers can find Snapchat Spectacles on websites like Ebay, but beware price mark-ups!